This assignment is a combination of a literature review and practical application of social exchange theory as the foundation of this deliverable.
research your social exchange theory, provide a detailed explanation of the theory and theorist/theorists responsible for the theory, share several examples of research conducted based on the theory, and apply the theory to some real-world phenomenon you feel can be explained/better understood based on the theory. The paper should follow the following structure:
- Introductory paragraph that establishes the communication context addressed by theThe social exchange theory. For example – social exchange theory may reside within the context of interpersonal communication. If this is the case you should begin your paper with a general explanation of the communication context of interpersonal communication without discussing your the theory.
- Next comes theory explanation. What are the basic concepts/ideas included in the theory? Who is responsible for creating/documenting the theory? include information about the theory utility, scope, heurism, etc.
- Once you have completed the theory explanation the next component of the paper is the literature review. A literature review simply means you locate scholarly articles related to research based on the theory and summarize the work conducted by these research studies including their findings.
- The next, and perhaps most important portion of the assignment is the real-world application of the theory to a real-world phenomenon of your choosing. For example – Social Penetration Theory may apply the theory to long distance relationships or relationships formed and maintained online or relationships between students and teachers.
- The final portion of the paper is conclusion. In the conclusion briefly summarize the body of the assignment , explain the relative importance of the theory as a means of understanding the context of communication where the theory resides, point out limitations of the theory, and provide closure/something to think about for readers of the paper.
The assignment should be double spaced and approximately 6 pages in length. A minimum of three sources is required…four or five sources will likely be necessary to properly complete the assignment. Citations can be in MLA or APA format.