For your final paper, you will be conducting a very basic critical analysis of a graphic novel of your choice. You may also use a story arc consisting of several issues. You may not use a single issue of a comic for your analysis. Here’s the breakdown:
· 4 pages total
· 1” margins
· MLA format (including headings and Works Cited Page)
· 4 sources (one for the book itself. One for your theory. Two others for supporting evidence (could be other critical analyses or other definitions for your theory, or a definition describing your lens of choice, etc.)
How to move forward:
1. Pick a graphic novel or story arc. Approve it with me.
2. Read it.
3. Think about which lens would work. Remember. This semester we covered:
a. Psychological Lens
b. Sociological Lens
d. Feminist Lens
4. Find a theory within the lens you choose. For example, if you choose the psychological lens, choose a psychology theory.
5. Write paper.
Writing the Paper:
The paper is broken down into six sections.
2. Summary (1/2 page).
3. Value judgment (1/2 page) (what did you like about the comic book? What didn’t you like?) Cover:
a. Art work
b. Content (story)
d. You may cover other elements like paneling, lettering, etc.
4. Introduce us to your lens and theory (1/2 page to 1 page)
a. Tell us about your theory? Which lens does it fall under? Who created the theory? Can you provide us with a working definition?
5. Analyze your text using the lens.