Assignment: Practicum: Planning for the Practicum
The practicum experience provides a significant opportunity to cultivate your professional growth and development. What skills, attributes, or categories of knowledge do you most need or want to nurture? How would improving in these areas enable you to be a more effective leader? And how would that allow you to facilitate the translation of evidence into practice?
This course includes a 216-hour practicum as part of the 1,000 clinical hours that are required for the DNP credential. In your practicum experience for this course, you will examine the change process as it relates to the translation of evidence into practice. In addition, throughout your practicum experience you will pay close attention to the role of leadership in such endeavors and reflect on your own development of leadership competencies.
This week you develop a plan for your practicum.
Note: If you have not already done so, formalize the relationship with your practicum mentor.
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quizGet Started
- Review the information presented in the Learning Resources, and consider what approach you would use (including specific steps of the process) to plan for and implement an aggregate-level change that facilitates the translation of evidence into practice. Begin with the analytical process required to identify the change that needs to be made.
- Think about learning objectives that would guide your practicum hours, as well as the activities you will undertake to achieve those objectives. Draft two or three learning objectives that are related to the AACN DNP Essentials, your practice area specialty competencies, and the focus of this course—planning for and implementing a sustainable change related to the translation of evidence into practice, as well as the development of leadership competencies to facilitate this.
- Refer to the Practicum Time Log and Journal document (see attached file).
- Develop a time line for your practicum experience. Note: You will submit your time log and a journal entry by the end of Weeks 3, 7, and 11.
Note: It is important to formulate a big-picture view of this process. In Weeks 2 and 3, you will work with your practicum mentor to examine a change already underway or previously accomplished, and identify an additional aggregate-level change you would like to propose. You are not required to implement this change, but you do need to select an idea that is feasible, based on evidence, and appropriate for your practicum setting.
By Wednesday 2/27/19 before midnight, write a 3-page essay in APA format with at least 5 scholarly references from the list of required readings below. Include the level one headers as numbered below.
Write a 3-page paper that includes the following:
1) An outline or visual representation indicating how you would guide planning for and implementing change related to the translation of evidence into practice for your practicum setting
2) Three learning objectives for your practicum hours that are aligned to the AACN Essentials, your specialty area competencies, and the focus of this course (i.e., systems-related issues, translation of evidence into practice, intentional change, and leadership) (refer to the attached AACN Essential IV [Nursing Informatics]).
3) Key leadership and other activities you will undertake to fulfill your identified learning objectives
4) A proposed time line for accomplishing your practicum hours (divide 216 hours in 10 weeks to come up with how many hours per weeks in order to makeup the required 216 hours for this semester).
By Wednesday 2/27/19 before midnight
Submit this Assignment.
White, K. M., Dudley-Brown, S., & Terharr, M. F. (2016). Translation of evidence into nursing and health care practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
· Review Chapter 3, “Change Theory and Models: Framework for Translation”
As you review this chapter (assigned in a previous course), consider the foundational information about change. Also, pay attention to the frameworks and processes described, as they will be valuable as you proceed through this course. What insights arise regarding how you might be able to guide the implementation of change?
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/publications/position/DNPEssentials.pdf (see attached file).
Use the information in this report to guide the formulation of goals for your practicum experience.
Bleich, M. R. (2011). IOM report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health: milestones and challenges in expanding nursing science. Research in Nursing & Health, 34(3), 169-170. doi:10.1002/nur.20433 (see attached file)
IOM report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health: milestones and challenges in expanding nursing science. Research in Nursing & Health by Bleich, M. R., in Research in Nursing & Health, Vol. 34/Issue 3. Copyright 2011 by John Wiley & Sons – Journals. Reprinted by permission of John Wiley & Sons – Journals via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Pritham, U. P. (2016). Assessing DNP impact using program evaluations to capture healthcare system change. The Nurse Practitioner, (4), 44.
Kotter, J. P. (2007). Leading change: Why transformation efforts fail. Harvard Business Review, 85(1), 96-103. Retrieved from https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/pl/76758028/76758030/42e82c2469b7f33387aa79dc5736bb1f
In this foundational reading, Dr. John Kotter discusses errors commonly made as organizations undergo change, and he recommends steps leaders can take to help avoid them (see attached file).
Moriber, N. A., Wallace-Kazer, M., Shea, J., Grossman, S., Wheeler, K., & Conelius, J. (2014). Transforming Doctoral Education Through the Clinical Electronic Portfolio. Nurse Educator, 39(5), 221-226. doi:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000053
Murphy, M. P., Staffileno, B. A., & Carlson, E. (2015). Original Article: Collaboration Among DNP- and PhD-Prepared Nurses: Opportunity to Drive Positive Change. Journal of Professional Nursing,31388-394. doi: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2015.03.001
Sherrod, B., & Goda, T. (2016). DNP-Prepared leaders guide healthcare system change. Nursing Management, (9). 13.
Osters, S., & Tiu, F. S. (n.d.). Writing measurable learning outcomes. Retrieved from http://www.gavilan.edu/research/spd/Writing-Measurable-Learning-Outcomes.pdf (see attached file).
Stuck with a Question?
Get it solved from our top experts within 8 hrs!Ask Your Question Now!