Critical Essay 1: Personal Response – Draft and Collaborative Review
In this assignment, you will follow the steps of the writing process to write a draft of a personal response analytical essay about the two essays you have been reading analytically: “Our Cell Phones, Our Selves” by Christine Rosen and “Disconnected Urbanism” by Paul Goldberger.
Write a 3-5 page personal response essay addressing the ideas and claims in Rosen’s and Goldberger’s essays about cell phones and manners in the digital age. Do you find any aspects of the essays irritating or interesting? Are there claims that you find funny or disappointing? To what extent do you agree with the claims in the essays? Your primary purpose is to present significant insights about the perspectives of the texts. As you write, follow the strategies for writing a personal response analysis essay described on pp. 77-80 and do the following:
• Introduce the topics to be analyzed accurately and early in your essay.
• Develop a thesis that states how you will examine and respond to specific ideas.
• Organize your analytical personal response in a way that it will be easy for the audience to follow.
• Assist the audience by using words, phrases, and sentences that show relationships and shifts.
• State the significance of your response at the place in the essay where it will be most effective.