Peritonitis following ruptured appendix
NRSG370: Melody King, 36, Peritonitis following ruptured appendix – Nursing Assignment
Ms Melody King presented to the Emergency Department with 2-3 days of severe Left Lower Quadrant abdominal pain, which required emergency laparoscopic surgery for removal of a ruptured appendix. She has a past medical history of asthma and depression, with her current prescribed and compliant medications list which includes:
Melody’s observations were as follows:
* BP 95/45mmHg
* HR 120
* Temp 38.3°Celcius
* RR 22/min and shallow
*SpO 2 95% on room air
She complained of increasing nausea and centralised abdominal pain 7-8 on a scale of 0 to10. The physical assessment showed a distended abdomen and generalised abdominal guarding. To investigate her condition further, pathology results reveal a raised white blood cell (WBC) count and CRP.
• Considering the person’s situation, collect, process and present related health information;
• Identify and prioritise at least three (3) nursing problems/issues based on the health assessment data that you have identified for the person at the centre of care;
• Establish goals for priority of nursing care as related to the nursing problem/issues identified;
• Discuss the nursing care of the person, link it to assessment data and history;
• Evaluate your nursing care strategies to justify the nursing care provided;
• Reflect on the person’s outcomes.